PERSONAL LEARNING – WORKSHOP – Pewter casting day and 2 days Resin casting

At this stage I am not really sure if I can take on the commitment for level 3 although I really want to. Two things that make me hesitant. I have not as yet had my work formally assessed and feel I should wait for the feedback but also the next level is self directed rather than me responding to a brief. At this point I have very little idea what I would like to do so I have attended some short workshops recently to get a feel for other materials and processes to see if it can spark an idea. They are not textile related but I am looking for something unusual to combine with my textiles.

1 – PEWTER CASTING using cuttlefish bone as a mould – I day at Ardington School of Crafts, Oxfordshire.

The cuttle fish was very easy to carve and the only real trick was getting some, or rather a pair there were even in size so when they were strapped together as a mould they were as tight as they could be to prevent the molten pewter from escaping. The singed cuttlefish was very smelly though !!

The pewter castings made from carving into a cuttlefish bone. Lovely marks from the cuttle fish that I could to ever have hoped to get if creating by hand. The circle is too thick really for what I wanted.

The pewter castings made from carving into a cuttlefish bone. Lovely marks from the cuttle fish that I could to ever have hoped to get if creating by hand. The circle is too thick really for what I wanted.

One idea was the incorporate a small section if pin weaving. Wrapped threads to give impression.

One idea was the incorporate a small section if pin weaving. Wrapped threads to give impression.

LOVE these ! they are only the over flow bits but they are wonderful pewter fish flakes !!

LOVE these ! they are only the over flow bits but they are wonderful pewter fish flakes !!

2 – RESIN CASTING –  Resin Jewellery designer Kathie Murphy. 2 days at Ardington School of Crafts, Oxfordshire.

I suppose this is a continuation on from the resin amulets that I made for the Working from Museums assignment. I want to find a way of encapsulating some of my textiles but I need to be able to sew it in.

Reminder samples from Working with Museums

Inspiration came from a single amulet standing on a light box and how static these items how now becomes where as previously they had been in constant movement as they were worn about the person.

Inspiration came from a single amulet standing on a light box and how static these items how now becomes where as previously they had been in constant movement as they were worn about the person.

These were sin bangles and moulds I made as an experiment to include a strip of text. The resin was "off" so did not work and so it was not included as a sample but I would like to develop this idea further.

These were sin bangles and moulds I made as an experiment to include a strip of text. The resin was “off” so did not work and so it was not included as a sample but I would like to develop this idea further.

 

These were my first attempts and actually I am very pleased with them.

Two resin bangles

Two resin bangles

Small painted stones

Small painted stones

I was delighted with this one and its given me an idea to develop further to combine resin circles and the idea of modern amulets as these bangles would incorporate messages of good will and protection of even a lucky charm that is worn about the body it can be encapsulated in the resin.

Monoprinted  scraps of paper and fabric that I kept over from the Biomimicry assignment 3. They look amazing in th resin as the paper absorbs the resin and becomes transparent.

Monoprinted scraps of paper and fabric that I kept over from the Biomimicry assignment 3. They look amazing in th resin as the paper absorbs the resin and becomes transparent.

These ones are not finished but they were an experiment to see how textile material worked in the resin. They are made as pendants and have a chanel in the resin to allow a waxed cord to go through but I think I could adapt it to take sewing thread etc.

The rubber molds cast around the model shape. So I made a positive to make a negative to make a positive.

The rubber molds cast around the model shape. So I made a positive to make a negative to make a positive.

4

And finally small squares. I thought I could create an “amulet” in two parts. The first being a cube like this and then encapsulate this into a large bit of resin with channels as above to allow attachment of some kind.

Small squares to encapsulate and include in a bigger piece.

Small squares to encapsulate and include in a bigger piece.

This entry was posted in LEVEL 2 - Personal learning - Workshops, RESEARCH AND REFLECTION, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Would welcome your thoughts and comments ....

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s