Another enjoyable year with lots to see and learn (and buy!)
This year I tried to concentrate on the textiles first and not get side tracked with the shopping. I went with the intention of looking out for traditional crafts and thinking about the craft side of industry in general. Interestingly I noticed lots of traditional historical techniques being used in more contemporary ways and I also found designers using post production materials in a recycling/up cycling context.
Most noteworthy were;-
- Bethan Jones – using post-industrial computer components for mixed media textiles
- Fiona Rutherford – Historical vertical loom weaving with a modern twist on colour.
- Sarah Fordy – Indigo Moose – Shibori and other techniques using indigo
- Elsa Capelli – Sculptural pieces using ethnically sourced materials and using a traditional palm plaiting technique from Uganda.
- Craft Finder – an online resource looking to promote the value of hand craft items in contrast to mass produced ones.