BRIEF – Watch the video – Annie Leonard – The story of stuff.
Had to watch this a couple of times to take it all in but also because it was so interesting ! Some key points and the video link as below.
- Distribution All of this is called “materials economy”
- Extraction – fancy word for trashing the planet. Cutting / mining/landing/trashing = running out of resources and we are just using too much stuff.
- Planned obsolescence – made to be useless quickly, dispose of it and buy again.
- Perceived obsolescence – convinces us to throw away stuff that is still perfectly useful. Fashion is a good example of this.
- Disposal – landfill / incinerator – consequences of this. Pollution of air/water/land. The incinerator is the biggest source of dioxcin – the most toxic manmade substance known to man.
There are so many points of interaction;-
- Saving forests
- Looking into cleaner production methods
- Working for labour rights
- Fair trade
- Conscious consumer
“When people along this linear system ( our current one) become united we can change it into a system that doesn’t waste resources or people”
- Green chemistry
- Renewable energy
- Zero waste
- Local living economies
Below is the video link