PERSONAL LEARNING – WORKSHOP – LYNDA MONK – New materials

Ahead of starting the new materials section, I took a workshop with Lynda Monk, author of 2 inspiring books to learn some basics in Tyvek, Evolon and Lutradur. Lynda is a real experimenter and it was quite a challenge to keep up with all her ideas !! We made 3 items utilising different products.
1 – Tower from thermofax screen printed puff-paint onto lutradur ( which puffed the paint with heat source and melted the unprinted areas to leave an open lace effect) which was subsequently painted in rusty coloured layers ( Using Golden liquid acrylic – can’t recall the colours other than Lynda’s “blue” which is Paynes Grey). This then took on the look of rusty gates and railings.
2 – Small pocket book – hand stitched with painted lutradur pages – some had gesso resist marks.
3 – Journal cover ( or at least I made mine into one as I didn’t want to make a wall hanging) from dyed/painted Evolon which was further decorated with layers of bondaweb and transfoils. I reinforced mine with another layer and machine stitching and decoration.
Images below – apologies for poor quality though.

1 - Trial of thermofax screen printing to get used to technique. This is gesso onto calico. I have since used this with dye and the gesso works really well as a resist.

1 – Trial of thermofax screen printing to get used to technique. This is gesso onto calico. I have since used this with dye and the gesso works really well as a resist.

2 - Printed puff paint onto Lutradur and puffed with heat gun melting the non-printed areas

2 – Printed puff paint onto Lutradur and puffed with heat gun melting the non-printed areas

3  - Painted with acrylic in rusts and browns and Payne's grey

3 – Painted with acrylic in rusts and browns and Payne’s grey

4 - Rust panels are sewn onto wooden frame

4 – Rust panels are sewn onto wooden frame

5 - Tyvek bondaweb and muslin sandwich all shrunk together at same time with iron so the muslin is pulled in. Did 2 samples, ironed both ways to see if the results were different.

5 – Tyvek bondaweb and muslin sandwich all shrunk together at same time with iron so the muslin is pulled in. Did 2 samples, ironed both ways to see if the results were different.

6  -Tyvek coloured with dyes, left was ironed over a rubber moulding mat to get a lace effect, right was ironed over the dame moulding mat but with transfoil in-between to get a metallic pattern.

6 -Tyvek coloured with dyes, left was ironed over a rubber moulding mat to get a lace effect, right was ironed over the same moulding mat but with transfoil in-between to get a metallic pattern.

7 - Evolon dyed with Procian dyes  (no fixative though as will not be washed), a layer of bondaweb and then 3 different coloured foils applied.

7 – Evolon dyed with Procian dyes (no fixative though as will not be washed), a layer of bondaweb and then 3 different coloured foils applied.

The 2 books - the smaller is the hand stitched one with painted Lutradur sheets in different colours. There are little pocket corners to insert found items in etc. and the larger is a journal wrap which is ideal as it's soft and spongy to protect corners.

The 2 books – the smaller is the hand stitched one with painted Lutradur sheets in different colours. There are little pocket corners to insert found items in etc. and the larger is a journal wrap which is ideal as it’s soft and spongy to protect corners.

This entry was posted in LEVEL 2 - Personal learning - Workshops, RESEARCH AND REFLECTION and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Would welcome your thoughts and comments ....

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s